Blooming Rose

Blooming Rose

Monday, June 14, 2010

All Hats On The Table, Please

It was a bright sunny weekend in southern California. A few of us got together at a
friends house for an afternoon of catching up with each other. I knew my friend’s
backyard would be very sunny so I brought a straw hat to keep the sun out of my eyes. 


I also brought some of my other straw hats for my friends to wear, if needed.  The sun
can be very intense in this area.




Cherry time is almost over around this part of the country.  It has been a very fruitful
season. We had a few chilled cherries (try saying that fast!) with our ice tea.


When I was a little girl I was visiting my aunt Claire and she took me to her favorite
farmers market to get cherries. She told me we would make a cherry pie when we got
home. I was so excited. While she made the pie crust she passed the bowl of cherries
to me and asked me to remove the stems and prepare them for the pie. I had no idea
there were pits in cherries so after I removed the stems and washed the cherries we
put them in her pie crust and in the oven to bake. You can only imagine the surprise
everyone had at desert when they bit into their piece of homemade cherry pie...with pits!
I don’t think I will ever live it down!  Well, lesson learned...cherries have pits which need
to be removed when you make a cherry pie!!!


It was a lovely afternoon with my friends catching up on each others news.  We had a
lot of laughs and ate a lot of delicious cherries while we stayed cool under our fun
straw hats.




Do you have a favorite straw hat?

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Beautiful, intriguing photos as usual. The story about the cherry pie is priceless. Or, should I say "it's the pits!"?