Blooming Rose

Blooming Rose

Sunday, January 30, 2011

A House In The Trees & Thank You



Yesterday I visited the CALM Antique Show in Santa Barbara and after that met a
friend for cup of tea in Montecito.  While driving around Montecito I spied a couple
of very creative and artistic treehouses.  They really caught my eye!  Although I 
didn’t stop to take pictures I really was not able to get their beauty out of my mind.

I remembered reading about a man who’s business is to create wonderful treehouses.
His name is Roderick Romero and he is the guru of treehouse creations. Some celebrities
who have commissioned Mr. Romero to build treehouses for them include Sting,
Donna Karan, Val Kilmer, Julianne Moore and many other’s including CEO’s of large
industries.

Sting’s treehouse, in Tuscany, is built on a century old oak tree with  copper and found
wood from the land around the old oak tree, on the edge of a private lake. A huge copper
sundial was built into the floor of the treehouse and Romero, with interior designer wife
Anisa,  designed stained glass windows for the 190 sq. foot abode. It is named
Casa Del Sole Di Mezzanote.



(Sorry, magazine pictures don't always copy well)

And designer Donna Karan’s treehouse has a bridge to take you to the house in the
trees.  It also includes an Australian musical instrument built into the wall where you blow
into the mouth piece that goes up a tube that is inside the wall and resonates throughout the
entire structure.




Here are a few other wonderful treehouses...

This two story structure will be one of several in a Costa Rican treehouse
community...




Val Kilmer’s house in the trees...



A tri level treehouse...



Santa Barbara treehouse...


Lantern house in the trees in Santa Monica...

Romero is New York based and has a band called Sky Cries Mary. He has designed
dozens of treehouses scattered from Montecito, California to Tuscany, Italy.  All are
said to be fully functional with electricity, kitchens and plumbing.

I must admit, I never would have thought of doing a post on treehouses but for the fact
of seeing the spectacular treehouses in Montecito.

Now, my question is...Do you have a treehouse?

I also want to thank so many of you who left comments and sent lovely emails regarding
my kitty.  Unfortunately, he passed away. He lived a long and happy life until the age of
27, which really is quite remarkable.  He came to live with us 26 ½ years ago when the
people he was living with decided to move away and abandon him. He was the sweetest 
little guy and I certainly do miss him. I thank you all for your kind wishes for him. It has
been a sad time for me and I thank you for your generous kindness and understanding.

18 comments:

Pondside said...

I'm so sorry to read that you've lost your dear Kitty. It's never easy and you will miss him.
I don't have a tree house here, but when we lived in Norther Alberta we had one and it was a lot of fun!

Kathysue said...

Hi Susan, I was so glad to see your name on my blog and now I see you did a post. So happy to see you in blogland. I missed getting to see you this weekend, but hopefully in the future we will get to meet in person!! Take care and I love the tree houses, I had one when I was a little girl but no tree house in my life now, but it sounds very romantic to me!!! Happy Monday!!! and have a great week, Kathysue

René said...

We do have what we call a tree fort. It has brought lots of fun to our boys over the years. Those are wonderful images.

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. My heart goes out to you dear friend.

-Rene

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Kitty....

Those tree houses are amazing. I don't have a tree house, but when I was little my brother built a very rough version of a tree house that I got to play in.
Hugs,
Penny

Divine Theatre said...

I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. I know words provide little comfort. You are so blessed to have known love like that!
We live in a city that regulates every last move...we are not allowed to build treehouses...*sigh*
We are only legally allowed to have two pets but I defy them! I have seven! Ha! Take that you bullies!

Privet and Holly said...

Thank you for these
few minutes of escape
to the trees! Aren't
they all just amazing?
My dad built a tree fort
for my kids; they used
smaller "sucker" trees
in the woods surrounding
the fort for the railing
that circles the platform.
Sadly, they have spent
little time in it, recently.
Maybe I should take it
over as a writer's roost!
Have a wonderful week.
I've thought a lot about
you and your little companion
over the last week.
xx Suzanne

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

I'm so sorry you've lost your kitty! How sad! I hope his passing was peaceful for him, and that your heart is soon mended.

Great tree house photos - I wish I had one! And since you asked - about 3 feet of snow on the ground and more coming this week. (enough already, right?)

Olive said...

I am so sorry about you kitty. They truly are family members and it is heart breaking when they leave us. I had a tree house as a child but nothing like those ones you showed. ♥O

NanaDiana said...

I am glad to see you back posting again..and I know how much you miss your kitty~

I had a "tree house" that I built myself as a kid-it wasn't much but it was fun and I had fun dragging the lumber out to the woods to construct it with. I was taking the wood off my father's pile and I'm sure he knew..but never said a word and then I took him back to see it one day and he just smiled all over. I was about 12 at the time.

Now, we have a beautiful little playhouse for my granddaughters and that is almost as much fun as a treehouse. The ones you found are phenomenal..and I had never heard of this guy before. WOW~ Hugs- Diana

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan,
I'm so glad to see you back after the loss of your kitty... you were missed. :)
These tree houses are fabulous. I think I heard about this tree house builder on an HGTV feature once before. Wouldn't it be so fun to have one?
I hope you have a wonderful week, my friend. :)
XO,
Jo

Acquired Objects said...

The tree houses are way cool! I'm so very sorry for your loss but you've very fortunate to have had your friend for so long.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I am so sorry that you lost a beloved cat. I know how much love they give and how they become part of one's life as we lost a 18 year old cat a few years ago. They will always hold a special place in our hearts! {{hugs}}

I think tree houses are fun for kids to play in but I don't think I'd want my house to be one, as I don't think it would be secure enough if hurricanes came up the coast.

Donna said...

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved kitty. They are such a big part of our families, aren't they? So I am very sorry for your loss. If I had a tree house, it would have to have plumbing. And electricity:) Take care!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

OH I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet kitty! 27 years...that really IS remarkable! I know he will be missed! I don't have a tree house, but my three season porch is surrounded by tall trees~ when I am out there, they sway in the wind wonderfully and I get the best naps! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your nice comments about my coaster project!

Mona thompson said...

Oh my, I'm so sorry for your loss. My Cappi is my baby and I can't even imagine. Great to see you posting again.

Drawn to The Sea said...

Sweet kitty was lucky to have been so loved for so long; hard to lose such a dear companion, hard to believe he's gone, I'm sure.

Someday I will invite you to dine at my treehouse in Tuscany ;-)

Tricia said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your sweet kitty. How nice that you got to have him for so long though ♥

Those treehouses are wonderful. My son begs for one all the time. I think something like that would be a great memory :)

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I'm so sorry about your cat. I've never heard of a cat living that long. It sounds as though you gave him a lovely home.

Sarahx