Blooming Rose

Blooming Rose

Thursday, October 21, 2010

A French Bateau or A Wooden Bathtub !?!

I think it all started with this picture in Country Living magazine...


 Or maybe it was this picture, also in Country Living magazine...



No,  I actually think my love of French bathrooms may have started with...


Oh,  the ceiling...the molding...the walls...the elegance!

Or,  maybe it was this more casual (delicious) Country French bath...


I do believe that was it!!!

I love French style bathrooms and tubs.  So I was all excited when friends called
last week to invite me to dinner and tell me about their new house. During the
conversation they mentioned redoing the master bath and asked if I had any ideas
for a “different” kind of bathroom.  Oh yes!!!

Well, as I was dreaming of suggesting a French style bath they informed me their
new house was really a second home up in mountains of California. They explained
it is a three level very contemporary home nestled in the pines. It sounds beautiful,
but...definitely not French.  My friend’s husband explained he wants something quite
rustic (he actually said “rough” but I interpreted that to mean “rustic”!) that would
fit in with the idea of being up in the trees. I asked if he had considered a wooden
tub. He, of course, thought I was joking and had a good laugh.  Little did he know
I wasquite serious.

So, a few days later I emailed pictures of wonderful wooden bathtubs to him. He’s
no longer laughing at me!  He is over the moon in love with the idea of a wooden tub.
Here are some of the pictures I sent to him.



 




Now, I just can’t seem to let the “French bathtub” thing go, so I included a picture of
this French Bateau. I think it would also work in any kind of a rustic bathroom, don’t
you?



I’m pretty sure I know which bathtub he is going to go with.  But, I still haven't
figured out how I got involved with finding wooden bathtubs!

Is there a tub that you especially like? 

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a funny story...haha! Who knew they made wooden bathtubs?? What wood (I mean would) be more perfect for a cabin in the mountains? ;-)
Have a great weekend!
~ Jo :)

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

Ive never seen a wooden bathtub before this post!! LOVE the french bathroom pics!! Drooling... ;)Rachel

Lynn said...

All of your pics are beautiful! I'd love to spend an hour soaking in the second one though:@)

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Those are some cool looking wooden tubs!

In my bathroom, I have a free standing pedestal tub, set in front of a beautiful led glass window. Your first picture with the framed me, reminds me of my bath some what.

a quiet life said...

so many fabulous ideas~

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

It would definitely work in a rustic setting. But oh my oh my those french baths! GORGEOUS!!

Privet and Holly said...

I've always dreamed
of a stand-alone bath
and a fireplace right
next to it! Wouldn't
THAT be a dream! I
agree, the copper would
be amazing in a rustic
setting and would be my
first choice. And the
first wooden in one is
really fun and is like
a little boat. Calgon,
take me awaaaaay!
xx Suzanne

Tricia said...

Hmm...I need to scrub things too much, so I don't think a wooden bathtub would be the thing for me. I do have a certain tub though that I am dying to have :)

Leo said...

I totally agree with you that the French Bateau would look quite nice in a rustic cabin.

Donna said...

Wow, I've never seen any wooden tubs like that before! I must say that my very favorite is the slipper tub in your first photo! I would truly be in heaven if I had one of those! Some day, I hope!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love copper, so I'd love the copper tub and matching sink. My son's first house had a slipper tub, and although it was wonderful to soak in it wasn't the easiest thing to get in or out of as it was very deep.

I never saw wooden bathtubs..very unique!

René said...

Wow! I had no idea that wooden bath tubs existed. I do love the copper ones in the third and last images.

-Rene

Kathysue said...

Great post and I think some wonderful suggestions for your friend. I had to come by and thank you for always being so faithful to reading my blog and leaving me the nicest comments. It really means a lot to me that you enjoy what you are reading. I sometimes wonder if I am giving useful information or just boring my readers. As long as you are enjoying it I feel I have accomplished what my goal is and that is to teach and inspire. You are the best reader ever!!! Hugs to you dear friend Kathysue

Pondside said...

I don't think I'd much like a wooden tub - but I love all those French tubs! Most of all I love my extra-long, extra-deep tub tucked into the bay window of the bathroom. I can full it up over my shoulders, and if The Great Dane wants in, there's lots of room.

Trouvais said...

Ah...that gorgeous copper tub ad...I saved that too. Too bad our house has such small bathrooms!!!Fell in love with French copper tubs when I stumbled across a beautiful antique one 25 years ago. Sigh.

La Dolfina said...

I actually really love those wooden tubs. I don't think I've ever seen one like these before, only hot tubs!
So organic... I can see why he is over the moon. He definitely asked the right gal :)
I am a bathtub kind of girl and would love to one day have a french bateau as you call them. I know bateau means boat so it's perfect pour moi.
Great post Susan, as always. You are the best friend in person and virtually. Hope you are enjoyed the weekend!!
xx

Kirsty Girl said...

*drools* I LOVE these tubs!!!!

Unknown said...

I adore these! So gorgeous! I could so get used to the idea of a wooden tub, very au naturel! Love your blog, so happy you came by Little Blue Deer so I could find you, happy to be your newest follower!

Renée Finberg said...

the copper tub is absolutely divine.

thanks for visiting

x

Mary Ann said...

wow, these tubs are so innovative. can't wait to see the finished look! hope your week is going great...verbena cottage

Melissa Miller said...

Oh I adore taking warm baths and all bath tubs as well. I have never seen a wooden one before. They are unique and interesting.
All of the french styles are gorgeous.

Thank you for your sweet visits! I think it is so neat we have look alike kitties. They are both such special and beautiful boys. Chestnut says meow to Flash today.

Happy week to you and I'm glad your cold is better. ~Melissa :)

Beach House Living said...

Cute story. I like the last one. For now I am happy with new mini tub on the stand but I've always wanted a deep soaking tub with lots of jets.

Olive said...

I have never seen the wooden tubs before but they sure are pretty. You must get one. Thanks for visiting me. hugs♥olive

chateaudelille said...

Oh I love french bathtubs also.Such a good collection of pics. Great to have found you.Thanks for visiting me so I could find your lovely blog.Fiona

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I like a big soaking tub...but some of these are much prettier! Especially the beautiful wooden tubs! ♥